12 April, 2016

Hidden Meanings

A while ago, Cristy posted about signs and symbols, and it reminded me of something I treasure.

Both my ectopic pregnancies would have had due dates in August, and after learning that the birthstone for August is peridot, my husband bought me some peridot ear-rings. We initially considered burying them in the pots where we had planted two dwarf Tahitian pohutukawa that flower in August, but – perhaps with some foresight, as my husband and I are not good gardeners and the plants didn’t last the distance – I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Recently I learned that peridot is not only the official birthstone for the month of August but is also a stone for the Zodiac sign of Libra, which is my birth-sign. That symmetry makes me happy.

The advantages of peridot are to attract love and calm anger while also soothing nerves and dispelling negative emotions. It is thought to bring the wearer good luck, peace, and success, and its powers supposedly include sleep, but more importantly, health, and protection. I don’t think I’ve been wearing them enough lately!

5 comments:

  1. I love peridots. I have a ring my husband bought for me in Paris which has a peridot in the center. Thanks for reminding me to wear it / I could use all the virtues you mention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peridot is a beautiful stone and it is so cool about the connection between never realized birthdays and your zodiac sign.

    Also, I agree that you should wear them more often. In fact, maybe you should sleep in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These earrings sound lovely! Would love to see a photo of them (and of you wearing them).

    It's strange, but I've been seeing a similar trend with some of my symbols having double, beneficial meanings. The pendant I wear daily has a leave motif which is associated with spring and hope. The locket I keep contains a heart charm. Maybe there's a subconscious reason we are drawn to our symbols?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was given a peridot ring after the ending of a relationship for that very reason: it symbolizes driving away the negative thoughts and opening yourself up again to the world. Love that you found new meaning from the stone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful symbolism, I find great comfort in finding meaning in life signs. I think is a wonderful example!

    ReplyDelete