12 July, 2021

Making the transition to our No Kidding lives

Over the years, in my huge document of No Kidding writing both published and unpublished, I have collected quotes that speak to me, and make me think about how we approach our lives without children, when once we might have hoped for something else.

A famous economist (whether or not you agree with his theories), John Maynard Keynes, points out that

"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

Being open to the future, rather than clinging to the hopes of the past, is really what sets us up for a happy No Kidding rest of our lives. I can vouch for that. And I feel vindicated in this, as Charles Darwin reminds me that -  

“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.”

We’re survivors. And we should be proud of that.


 

3 comments:

  1. Great quotes!! That first one really speaks to me. I held on so tight to my ideas of what my life was going to look like. It really prevented me from being "responsive to change" like in the second quote. It was only after I let go of my old ideas (which wasn't easy to do at all!!) that I was able to even be open to developing new ideas. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing quotes. I think that's the secret to being able to resolve... To be responsive to change and let go of the old ideas of what life was "supposed" to be. Hanging on too tightly to the ghosts of the past robs you of your present, and future. It's so hard, like Phoenix says, but so worth it for happiness in the life you actually live. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Darwin one, wow! Important in any situation where life doesn't go as you planned and desired. The ability to adapt (or, as Jess says, resolve) makes the difference between a life of angst and one of contentment.

    ReplyDelete