- Summer has arrived. Really. We are having day after day of warm, sunny weather. We didn't get any of this last year, so we're really making the most of it.
- Home maintenance and construction projects. We're building a new deck (and given that part of our property is about 5-6 metres above ground, this isn't an easy process), and each new metre of decking needs to be celebrated. And of course (given the aforementioned good weather), cocktails must be mixed, and barbecues consumed, sitting on said deck!
- Barbecues on friends' completed decks, watching the harbour lights twinkling as the sun goes down and moon rises.
- Quality time with my niece. Yes, I have a number of nieces, but there is one I've always been closer to. Sadly, for so many years she has lived overseas, so I have felt spoilt the last few months, as she's returned to NZ for some gap year touring, and has passed through Wellington several times, each time managing to get her staying with us to both give her grandparents a break/give her a break from her grandparents, and to get some chores done (visa applications/wardrobe shopping for new job) together. It's been lovely. We bond over old West Wing episodes, and explore issues of being a young woman in 2013.
- Oh yes, and the need to explain to the niece that 1998 was not in the dark ages. And that it was my generation and the generations before mine that "invented" feminism, and that she can't teach me anything about feminist theory. "Slut walk? Way ahead of you, kid!"
- Transferring all my files from old laptop that is about to explode, to new laptop that has very frustrating Windows 8. Sigh! Configuring files, trying not to lose all bookmarks, keeping email yet changing email clients. It's enough to drive me bananas!
- Summer reading. Hilary Mantel's Bring up the Bodies has kept me intrigued, and now I'm onto The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst, a recommendation from one of the guys at my favourite brunch place.
- Of course, having brunch at my favourite brunch place.
- Reading blogs then forgetting to go back and comment on them when I'm not on my iPad.
- Thinking of new blog topics.
28 January, 2013
When summer gets in the way ...
I have been sadly absent from my blog and much of the blogosphere lately. And I apologise! I have excuses though: