06 May, 2019

What prompts personal growth?

A blogger* recently said that in not having children, she had lost the chance to do things better, or differently, or the way that might have worked with us way back when. I can understand that. We all want to take lessons from what happened to us, and make things better. But there’s a danger in this. I’ve seen someone raise their by deliberately doing the opposite of that which her mother did. They didn’t seem to realise that they weren’t actually choosing to do this freely, but were taking a kneejerk reaction out of resentment. But in trying to rectify the “wrongs” done to them, the best interests of the children were sometimes lost.

The aforementioned blogger also said that she felt she was missing out on the mental thought and maturation involved in this process of assessing her upbringing and then raising children. I can definitely see her point. It seems that, when parenting, it might happen organically, as and when specific childhood stages were reached. But it could also occur at times of crisis, with many competing demands for time and energy, or when we found it least convenient. We just never know. So I don't think it would inherently be an easy or natural process to go through when parenting.

Of course, I don’t think you need to be a parent to be able to think about and deal with the issues of our childhood. Because, in my experience at least, I see a lot of people who don't grow, who never deal with their past or their issues, and who even hide from it. Perhaps without even realising that. And I know (from discussions in the comments) that the original blogger knows this too.

Personally, the fact that I couldn’t have children, and the need to process the grief of that, meant I had to really think about my own values, then to reevaluate my life, and find meaning in other ways. It has meant that I've thought about a whole raft of issues and ideas about myself (including how I would have parented) that my friends who are parents just haven't (or hadn’t at the time) necessarily had to do. They might have had a life that has worked seamlessly for them so they don’t question it, they might not have had the time or energy to search their hearts and minds, they might have been too afraid to confront feelings of emptiness or confusion, or they simply lacked self-awareness, never really knowing why they were bitter or angry or sad, or knowing in fact that they were actually bitter or angry or sad.

The thing about a situation that changes our lives, or changes the way we expected to live our lives, is that we can’t avoid confronting it. But still, the extent to which we do will depend on many of the issues above – self-awareness, inclination, time or energy, and courage. It doesn’t happen automatically to parents, and it doesn’t happen automatically to those of us who can’t be parents. We all have catalysts - whether it is having children, or NOT having children. The key is not to denigrate our own catalyst. Absence can be a catalyst to growth, just as presence can be.

Ultimately, I think if we're going to grow, we're likely to find a way to do that regardless of whether or not we have children. And I suspect, simply by posing these thoughts, the original blogger is way ahead of many in this regard.

This is by no means a criticism of the blogger's thoughts - I completely understand where they are coming from. It's more an extension of her thoughts, into my situation.

4 comments:

  1. I agree: "If we're going to grow, we're likely to find a way to do that regardless of whether or not we have children." I think the growing often comes from not getting what you want. In this way, anyone going through infertility has already had a growth opportunity. And those who find peace in their path have taken advantage of it and grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Around this theme (sorry if I go off topic, just setting down my feelings here), I've occasionally pondered on the idea (which is quite prevalent, amongst parents at least...) that having children gives you some kind of greater understanding - everything you failed to grasp about your own childhood and your parents clicks into place - you're more emotionally mature and have some sort of enhanced depth of feeling about the world. All that stuff you hear parents say in the comment sections. I've even wondered whether I'm colder than the average parent, since you hear mothers saying "I wear my heart outside my body since I had children", or "XYZ makes me cry since I had kids". And all that stuff about seeing things anew through kids' eyes, and rediscovering the world, etc etc - all of the above exacerbated the immense feelings of doom, weariness and jadedness that I had in my late 30s when I came to terms with the fact I'd never have children. I felt that there may be parts of my brain that I would never get to use, interesting things I wouldn't be able to observe (like watching a kid acquiring language, something I’m interested in), and yes, raising a kid in a much different way to how my 1950s-born parents raised me. I reject most of this now and simply don’t care about it. We all have examples of chronically immature parents that we know, and the notion that you don’t grow up until you have children is patent nonsense – try tending to a sick family member until they die in front of you, as many young carers like myself had to do. Most of these ideas I now find insulting. Something I have gone through as an older person without kids: I now find the whole idea that it’s somehow selfless and worthy to conceive a baby and then devote yourself to it for life, and that you become a better person for it, bemusing. For most of us, the reality that we see around us, not to mention the daily news, belies this utterly. So it’s a while since I’ve considered how different I’d be if I’d raised kids. You have it in a nutshell when you say that growth doesn’t happen automatically to parents, and it doesn’t happen automatically to those of us who can’t be parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting topic! I agree that something happening can be a catalyst to personal growth, or not. Becoming a parent ended up bringing up a lot of memories from my childhood and lead to me feeling anger and resentment towards my parents which I never expected. (I had quite a strict upbringing). These are things which would probably have come up in therapy if I ever go. I think it's so important for everyone to be self aware on how their behaviour affects others and to learn from things. It would help the world be a better place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mali, I agree with you. Not having children has changed me life and my self-perception in an incredible way. I'm even pretty sure that I would not have been so much in peace with myself and with the world if I would have had children easily...

    ReplyDelete