31 October, 2022

Monday Miscellany: No Kidding Style

I've passed 800 posts on No Kidding in NZ. I sneaked past several weeks ago, as today's post will be number 809. That's a lot of writing specifically on No Kidding issues! (I'm over 1000 posts on A Separate Life.) I'm worried that there isn't much left to be said. And, having passed a major birthday milestone, I wonder if I still have relevance in the world. I fear becoming repetitive and boring, then a comment from someone saying they needed to hear this today, or that it confirmed their own experiences, reminds me that repetition can be a good thing. Or at least, I hope so. And yes, I know I've written about this before - it would have been wrong if I was not repetitive in a comment about being repetitive! Right?

In case it isn't obvious, I admit to feeling a bit bleurgh right now. I've been on antibiotics for sinus issues, I've been sleeping a lot more than usual the last few days (but negative for covid) , and I'm feeling slightly stressed. I'm stressed because of the state of the world, a visitor coming at the end of this month (with polar opposite world views), and because I'm organising a trip for next year, and the bookings are becoming urgent. I'm feeling the pressure because it's going to cost a lot of money, is probably the last trip we'll make to this part of the world, and although I know this isn't possible, I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. Yes, that is setting myself up for failure ... and stress! It made me wonder what I'd have been like organising trips with children. With more people involved, and kids, would I have been more stressed or would I have taken it more casually? When it is only the two of us, I tend to want to find something that is exactly right. Yet with kids, nothing would have been exactly right, so maybe it would have taken the pressure off. Or maybe I'm just dreaming, and need to relax! I'm lucky to even be able to plan it, so I need to remember that. 

I've just realised that it is Halloween today. How easy it is to forget that here in New Zealand, and when I have no children or grandchildren. But I know elsewhere it is not as easy to forget, and the reminders of what we are all missing out on can be acute at this time of year. So I'm sending love, hoping you get to celebrate or not as you choose, that you get something sweet to eat, and a reminder that tomorrow it is November, and that particular reminder will be over for another year. Sending love to you all.




7 comments:

  1. Repetition can be a good thing. Sometimes we hear/read the same thing but it hits us differently. Depending on where we are in our recovery (and that day), different ideas take our thoughts down different paths. Plus, I think there are a lot of readers that drop in and out, just casually finding posts to read here and there. I think you serve an unserved population. There's not a lot of support out there for women coming to terms with living childless not by choice. I appreciate all of your time, energy, and writing.

    I'm sorry you're feeling a little stressed and off. It's not an easy time. Plan what you can for your trip. I'm excited you get to travel again! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IP, as always, you are too kind. And you've made me feel a lot better! Thanks.

      Delete
  2. What you share resonates differently at different times and circumstances in our lives. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yikes! Sinus issues. I totally understand your "bleurgh " ... I've had more of those sinus bleurgh episodes than I can count. Hope you're on the mend now. Equally important, I hope you appreciate how critical your voice and your experiences are to all of us -- veterans as all well as newbies. Finally, I totally get your desire to make travel and trips the best they can be for all the reasons you laid out. You and I are two peas in a pod that way! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find I say the same things over and over again. The closer I get to core truths, the less there is to say (but, perhaps, more ways to say it). I will always appreciate your wisdom.

    Feel better soon xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are relevant and not repetitive! I agree with others that the same themes may repeat in different contexts, in different times, and be a further exploration. I appreciate you and your evolving thoughts! I'm sorry you've been feeling bleurgh. sinus stuff stinks. I hope your trip planning goes well -- perfect is a high bar! I'm sure it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete