26 December, 2022

Just the Two of Us

 It is always just the two of us. But, apart from some Christmases spent overseas in Thailand and Hawaii, this was the first we ever spent in New Zealand just the two of us. I was both looking forward to it, and feeling apprehensive. Christmas, in New Zealand, is a time when everyone travels or gathers together with family and friends, celebrating the arrival of summer. Even those who don't celebrate it get to enjoy the time with loved ones, the summer weather, the time off work, the opportunity to do something different. With doors and windows wide open, you can hear the groups outside on decks and in gardens, laughing and enjoying themselves together. It's a cruel reminder that you are alone. If it was held in the winter, I would have relished the time to just snuggle up at home. But in summer, it felt a little different knowing it would be just the two of us this year, and I was unsure how I would feel.

Still, I got to sleep in, we enjoyed a lazy croissant breakfast, and then I began cooking our Christmas meal, listening to a Christmas playlist on Spotify that a friend's daughter put together last year. There was no rush - we could eat whenever we wanted. The Husband even did some gardening! I pulled out my white tablecloth I bought on a work trip in the Philippines, the good china and cutlery from diplomatic days in Thailand, the inherited crystal and silver platter and jug and glasses, and serving plates that were a gift from a sister-in-law. I even put flowers in a vase. I made an effort!

When it came down to what we might eat, I realised that in the last 20 years, I have already established a tradition of what food we (jointly) like, and so it was simple, but yummy. We decided, after the croissant breakfast, that we didn't need any nibbles or appetiser. So we just had a glazed ham for main course, though I tried a new asparagus and avocado salad to go with the new potatoes, and pavlova and summer berries for dessert. We opened a bottle of Bollinger we had discovered in our wine rack, sat outside in the warm breeze under a tree enjoying a sip or two, and then ate our meal. It was, I discovered, really nice not to be running around serving others, worrying if they liked it, if there was enough, if everyone had everything, was anyone bored, etc. We just relaxed and chatted and enjoyed it. Perhaps too much, because - without the need to serve dessert before the kids got grumpy and the elderly fell asleep, or before it was time to go to the tree and unwrap presents - we decided to leave the pavlova for later. In fact, we left it for hours, and ate it at dinnertime, with the last of the Bolly! Still, there were lots of leftovers.

I had had plans of wearing something floaty, and doing my hair. I ended up in the T-shirt I cooked in, with my hair merely combed and tied back! No make-up. No jewellery. Just us, come as we were! And it surprised me, how relaxed and comfortable it all felt. I'll admit to a lazy afternoon, a nap on the couch, and an evening reading, and watching a light TV show. With a piece of Christmas baclava and a cup of tea. No stress. And, we discovered that when you clean up after just the two of us, we only need one load in the dishwasher! An added bonus.

Turns out, just the two of us was pretty wonderful. It's like life. I should have known!


9 comments:

  1. It looks so delicious!
    Wishing you both a happy & healthy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to bake you and your DH a pavlova one day in NZ!

      Delete
  2. The food looks good and your table setting is pretty! It's so nice to see green trees in the background since everything here is covered in snow. You described a perfect day to me, right down to croissants for breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Croissants are good, aren't they? Pretty much the only time of year we have them. lol Everything covered in snow sounds very romantic to me though.

      Delete
  3. Dear Mali,
    seems as if your Christmas was just perfect this year! Isn’t it a luxury that you two can enjoy each other’s company without getting bored or annoyed or stressed? Being just two does have some advantages and when I read your post, I believe you had a perfect day! Merry Christmas!
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy holidays! What a beautiful Christmas. I'm glad that it turned out to be relaxing and enjoyable and not lonely at all. That sounds just lovely. And Pavlova for dinner? yum! Your table looks so inviting. And I bet you were more comfortable in your t-shirt than if you'd done something floaty... we spent Christmas Day in pajamas. Never got dressed! It's great to savor the moments where being "just us two" is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mali,
    So appreciate your appreciation for a lovely Christmas day spent in a way that brought you relaxation and contentment. Even lovelier to SEE and hear from you online this week. Can't believe it was a first after this many years.

    Wishing you a very HAPPY NEW YEAR! ... may 2023 bring more beautiful moments full of unexpected, joyful moments to cherish. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore this, that you made the day spontaneous, guided by what works for you today. Not what worked for someone else or what used to work for you. The table looks amazing! Merry Christmas (belatedly) to you, and may 2023 bring contentment, fulfillment, and joy. And much more Mali wisdom for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely table! and that pavlova has me drooling! :) So glad you had a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete