12 December, 2022

Thinking about life when you're childless

In recent conversations over the last few weeks, I have been reminded how readily my husband and I think and talk about ageing, about the natural progression of life (and death), about infirmity and about dying. And I have been surprised by how others do not do this.

In particular, we know we have been forced to think about this in two ways. Firstly, we couldn’t ignore the realities of ageing because we did the bulk of the elder care of his parents, watched their decline week by week by week over 20-30 years, and inevitably recognised that we too would be largely unable to avoid this. It always surprises me how many people aren’t willing to confront this, who think by exercising and keeping healthy they will avoid all the health problems that may crop up in their 70s and 80s, if not earlier. They are in denial, because they don’t want to face the fact that almost all of us will, if we’re lucky enough to survive to old age, have to deal with physical or mental decline. Of course, one of the reasons we were responsible for so much of the elder care was our No Kidding situation. We had no excuses for not visiting, for “not having the time” to care for the elderly parents, to think that a letter or Skype call once a month was sufficient to keep the relationship going.

Secondly, we can’t ignore the realities of ageing because if we don’t plan for our future, no-one will. We can’t rely on children, or even nearby nieces or nephews, because we don’t have any close by. We can’t ignore these issues, of not thinking about where we might want to end up, especially not if we want any sort of choice in the matter, and if we want to avoid the distress and fear we have observed in other elderly people who leave everything too late. Yet our guest seemed to be more concerned about where we would end up when we are dead (ie our ashes), than when we are still alive but in need of help. It is bizarre.

I confronted him about it, mentioning that his inaction might limit his choices when he does need help, that by not thinking about things he was – consciously or unconsciously – deciding to leave the burden on his children, and that it was quite selfish to do so. I also pointed out we didn’t have the luxury of doing this. And now that he knows, it is no longer an unconscious choice he is making to ignore his old age.

He does not even have a Will – can you believe that? He must think he is immortal! We’re not perfect. We know we need to update our Will. And after these conversations, I’m keen to do that early in the New Year.

Ultimately, being childless has forced us to think about these things. Ectopic pregnancies forced me to confront my own mortality, and doing so has brought me some peace. Accepting the randomness of life has made me accepting of whatever may befall us. And the ease of having compassion for others, knowing how easily misfortune can occur to anyone, and knowing that judgement often comes through ignorance and an inability to put  ourselves in other people’s shoes.

Learning to enjoy the little things in life, to feel gratitude, to continue to learn, to try to improve myself, all these things will make my life easier as I age, as they make my life easier now, and as they were a result of infertility and loss and survival. I am not kidding about any of life’s inevitabilities. I’m glad about that. I’m at peace. Whereas this person who wants for nothing materially, who has children and a wife and friends, is uncharacteristically ill at ease with his age and afraid of the future. Maybe, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Mali,
    I couldn't agree more with you! Exactly - we can’t ignore the realities of ageing because if we don’t plan for our future, no-one will.
    We have written a will when we weren't even 50. It was an emotional thing to do. But I feel safer, knowing that I wrote down our wishes.
    sending much love from Europe,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will and trust as well as durable power of health and attorney. And review it at least every 10 years as things change. I don't understand the level of denial in those who do not plan for the realities of age and death. Thank you for writing about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful observation about the inverse relationship between making peace with one's situation vs continual striving, and the willingness to deal with one's decline and mortality.

    Get a will, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Studying aging this semester and working with older adults at my new job have been eye opening this year. I was already thinking in this direction when I bought my one-story house last year. (Here's to hoping I'll never have to move again.) I will continue to think, learn, and plan for my options as I age.

    I know you can't count on kids for elder care if you have them, but I know I definitely can't count on them when I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. I agree that I think it's more practical to think about care in the sunset years rather than where bodies go, if I were to prioritize. We were just thinking about this as we plan to clear out an attic space this holiday break, and we are increasingly like, "donate/give away, we have to do it someday anyway. Why hang on to things that will end up elsewhere eventually anyway?" I can tell you I don't appreciate jokes my parents have about the big job we'll have clearing stuff out of their home(s)... if you know, then take care of things while you're still kicking. :) I think it's so necessary to think about these things and plan for the future because no one knows the circumstances of what's to come.

    Hard but necessary conversations and thoughts. Thanks for writing about them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having just returned from a visit with my stubborn, aging parents... you are singing my song, dear Mali! So frustrating trying to get them to face up to some of the realities of aging and make some changes re: housing, getting rid of stuff, etc. etc. -- they still have the time & ability to make some important choices themselves -- but sooner or later, they may be put in a position where decisions have to be made and they won't have a choice (or at least as many choices as they do right now) and it won't be pleasant...! Sigh... In some respects, I think my sister (childfree by choice) and I are better prepared for our old age, because we know we won't have any offspring to back us up and bail us out...!

    ReplyDelete