I called this blog No Kidding in NZ, not only because I wanted a title that made it clear that I don’t have children, but also because I wanted a title that would keep me honest, and remind me every time I write that I can’t believe the myths, the negative voices, or those who just don’t get it.
- I don't kid myself that there’s a reason why I couldn't have children, that I deserved this, or that was unworthy.
- I don't kid myself that there is only one lifestyle in which we can be happy.
- I don't kid myself that the only way to contribute to this world is through parenting or provision of DNA
- I don't kid myself that there isn't some pain in this lifestyle, but I acknowledge there is also freedom and joy
- I don't kid myself that I’ll be cared for in my old age, or that it isn't harder to make and keep friends when you don't have children, but it means I can treasure what I have now, and at the same time make plans for the future
- I don’t kid myself that my life is better or worse than if I had become a parent; it is just my life.
It’s a reminder I need from time to time, and I’m sure I could add to this list (if I had more than eight sentences), so please feel free to add your own reminders (to yourself, or to me) in the comments.