20 April, 2012

Grateful Friday


So much discussion around infertility is about what we’ve lost, about pain and grief.  But we don’t have a monopoly on that.  No, this isn’t another Pain Olympics discussion.  This is simply a fact of life.  Yesterday my husband heard that a friend of his, who we knew has been battling the return of melanoma, is to be given no further treatment against this very aggressive (and sadly very prevalent) cancer.  She said “it’s a case of each day as it comes, sorting my stuff out, and setting up X (her son) for the future.”  And so last night, as I was frying onions and revelling in that delicious aroma, I knew she was figuring out how to tell her son.  And I thought that I owed it to her to do as she is doing – to take each day as it comes, and to be grateful for what I have.

So today, on this autumn Friday, I am grateful for :

  1. My husband
  2. Frying onions
  3. This lovely autumn we are having
  4. The tui chattering away in the trees outside my window
  5. The morepork I heard in the trees last night
  6. The fact I can see and hear our native birds
  7. Our slightly wacky, in-need-of-maintenance, but interesting house
  8. The sun streaming through the windows, warming the house
  9. The beautiful views from my house (check out the header image on A Separate Life)
  10. Friends – in real life and virtual
  11. The fact that my last post resonated with so many people
  12. That after a few years of hard work and investment, the company I used to Chair is on the verge of a big contract
  13. My health – because I’m feeling okay right now, and I will not under-estimate the importance of this, not now
  14. The fact I could – if I chose - buy whatever I wanted at the supermarket today
  15. The good quality, reasonably-priced, delicious Sauvignon Blanc that I plan on drinking tonight ...
... and much, much more ...

13 comments:

  1. BRILLIANT post...and LOVE that header image...quite a view! :-D

    SO SORRY to hear about your hubby's friend. :-(((

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like illness in our own circle to shake us up and look at our lives in a better way. I try to remember how blessed I am- NO MATTER HOW this last step turns out. Thanks for reminding me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your friend.

    There's always so much to appreciate in life, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The part of about your hubby's friend telling her son made me burst into tears. I love your list. There is always so much to enjoy about each day we have. Even on those bad days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry about your friend. My cousin -- same age as me -- had a mastectomy this week. :( News like that truly makes you appreciate what you have, and health is certainly at the top of the list. Glad YOU are feeling better these days, & I hope it long continues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. #4,5+6: fo' shizzle. Haven't listened to music now for ages, I just like having the door open for the birdies. And, in the summer, listening to cicadas.

    Thats really sad about your husbands friend - can't imagine having to have that conversation with your kids (or anyone)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about your friend, and she's right, to live each day as a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  8. yours is the first blog I read for ICLW and I'm glad I did. It was such a wonderfully positive way to kick off the week for me. Throughout my entire journey I have always tried to keep in view all of life's gifts I should be grateful for, sometimes succeeding, sometimes not. Thank you for writing such beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about your friend, I think you are doing the right thing and loving what you have right now.
    I send you so many hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I very recently found your blog, but you have such a wonderful perspective and voice. Thank you for your thoughtful and thought provoking posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello from ICLW and this was beautiful. Thanks for reminding me to be think about what I'm grateful for. I've tagged you with the Lovely Blog Award.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    Thanks for leaving a comment at Navigating Cyberloss. I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but you are honouring her by choosing the path you have. Real life friends and virtual friends are so important.

    *hugs*

    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there, (tried to comment 1st day of ICLW, sorry if you got a zillion, it wasn't working!) this post is so hauntingly true. I try to think of others' pain when I am in the throes of self pity and I know that it is so important to count your blessings. And it's good to remind ourselves to do so.
    I am so sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete