On my birthday eleven years ago today, I learned I would never have children. Since then, though, my birthdays have included:
- A weekend in New Zealand's Hawke’s Bay wine region with my sister and her husband
- Dinner at most of my favourite restaurants in Wellington, often planning our next trip
- A weekend away in Brisbane
- A landmark celebration in South Africa
- A dinner last year in London with family who were also there from Qatar, marking the end of our five months Lemons to Limoncello trip
This year it will be quiet, due to our impecunious state, but we’ll raid the wine cellar (okay, the cupboard off my office) for a good bottle of something, and my husband will cook a nice meal, and I might make a wicked dessert.
And the memory of 2003? That’s all it is now – a memory.