25 December, 2023

The night before ...

I had another post planned, but it is Christmas Eve, and I am exhausted, though thankfully almost all preparations have been made for tomorrow. Like women all over the world right now! By the time you read this, it will be the 25th, and then it will all be over and we can just relax.

The three-year-old is very cute, a little overwhelmed by all the strangers he's had to meet in this house, very well behaved, and very sweet. All I can say is that I don't feel envy, simply because a) he's not my child, and b) at this stage in my life, I wouldn't have a three-year-old, and so can't relate. It might have been hard twenty years ago to watch him, but so far, it has been easy to simply be a loving observer.

We've set out the Christmas cake and glass of milk for the sleigh rider to eat when the presents are dropped. The stockings, which I bought thirty years ago thinking I might have children and we might have big family Christmases together. are under the tree. are spread out for my nieces and great-nephew, and for my husband, my sister, my brother-in-law, and myself. The first time I've ever used them. My sister pointed out that she, her husband, and her daughter use hers (which I gifted them 15 years ago when my niece was born) every year. But it's different to do that when you don't and have never had a child in the house. Continuing a tradition you started with a little one is easier than trying to start a tradition when it feels as if something is missing. So I'm feeling it a little, though not bad.

Whether or not you celebrate Christmas, I hope that you are relaxed and happy and get some peace over the next day or two. Sending love to you all. And I'm going to make a cup of chamomile and eat a piece of Christmas baklava!


4 comments:

  1. dear Mali, I wish you all a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Merry Christmas! It sounds like a different, but lovely holiday. Sending you my love from far away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing Christmas post this is; so much tenderness and love for where you were then and where you are now. Hope you had a lovely cuppa tea and enjoyed the company of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate you reflecting on the stockings, and the what-has-beens and what-might -have-beens around them. Integrating and healing, our neverending path of finding wholeness within.

    ReplyDelete