02 September, 2024

That Other Day that Shall Not Be Named

It was that other day which shall not be named yesterday, for the men in our lives. For some reason, this year, I’ve noticed a lot more advertising around it, days/weeks earlier. So has my DH. Maybe we’re just engaging (reading/streaming etc) more with some media (eg NZ TV’s free streaming platforms – which are actually very good) than we might usually. Still, we became immune to the ads, moved to other platforms, and so didn't see or hear too much on the day. Well, except for the photos from sisters-in-law (who seem oblivious to the fact that my DH might not want to see these things) of the breakfasts/desserts etc cooked for their men. Sigh. One day I'll say something.

Still, these days, without having elderly parents/in-laws anymore, it is easier for us just to ignore the day. We don't go out - but that's fine, as we avoid going out on Sundays throughout the year pretty much! It’s also almost 20 years since I lost my father, and now four years since we last celebrated a Father’s Day with my FIL, and this is the norm for us. Likewise, we don’t have to go into work the next day, and hear how others celebrated it. Life definitely gets easier in this respect as we age.

I hope the day passed peacefully for most of you (or continues to do so today – given time zones).

 

3 comments:

  1. Ours was already in June, but we approach the day (as well as the one before it in May!) in much the same way as you do! I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's just NZ and Australia in September, now that you mention it. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over here we hardly notice this second day that shall not be named. I would not even be able to tell you when it normally is. I guess it is not marketed that much? I am sorry about the inconsiderate behavior of your in-laws...
    Much love from Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete