12 March, 2019

A state of grace

I read a post from a member of the ALI community who now has children. She was reflecting on her reactions to a pregnancy announcement. As is probably inevitable after infertility, a pregnancy announcement is never really just a pregnancy announcement. We all know too much now to simply let it go. So she thought about the ages of the couple and whether that had made it easier for them or not, and then hoped that they hadn't had fertility issues. It was only after going through all the different permutations of how they might have got pregnant that she realised she did not feel jealous about the pregnancy

"Well, of course," some of you might be saying. But I know that not all parents after infertility are able to feel this way. Those who used surrogates, or donor eggs and/or sperm, or those who adopted all have their own issues around pregnancy announcements. But even those who seem to get pregnant more frequently can find such news tough. I remember a woman on the charity website where I volunteered ten years ago who, despite some pregnancy losses and a PCOS diagnosis, still managed to have a child a year, and at last count (to my knowledge) had eight children. She had declared that even with all those children, she still felt jealous when she saw a pregnant woman, as she always assumed they had an easier time of it than she did. Perspective was not her strong point !

It is harder, I think, for the No Kidding to find that they don't feel any jealousy or little twinges when we hear pregnancy (or birth) announcements. After all, we're not grieving just the lack of pregnancy announcements or births, but that entire life with a child that we had once hoped for. So I think jealousy is perfectly normal, or if not jealousy, simply a twinge of pain hearing of other's success can hurt a lot, reminding us of what we have lost, of what we weren't able to achieve.

But, as the years pass, and as we pass through menopause and enter different phases of our lives, this happens less and less often. I believe we can reach the same calm, relaxed, accepting state that Isabelle has found. Gradually I have grown able to simply shrug if the newly pregnant person/couple is not close to me. Or I can be genuinely happy for others, regardless of their fertility journey to get there. And perhaps most important, I can do that largely without pain now. The whole process seems separate from me now. So I embrace that. Sure, sometimes there might be a twinge. But I think that grows to become the exception rather than the norm. I know it will pass. And I like being able to join in on celebrations, or simply being able to move on after hearing the news without it affecting me. I am grateful for that. I am grateful for this very welcome state of grace.

9 comments:

  1. I wonder if it's also -- for everyone -- a bit of desensitization. That the emotional response changes the more we're exposed to pregnancy over time. That after years of announcements, our reaction changes. For some people, it will be a drastic change (a lack of reaction) and for some it will be a subtle change (a smaller twinge).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pregnancy announcements don't sting like they used to, but it took me years to get to this point. I think it's because of what you said: "the whole process seems separate from me now." Other people's pregnancies have nothing to do with me. When I learn someone is pregnant, it doesn't change my life in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, someone announced a pregnancy to me today, And I was just fine. Maybe because pregnancy has been a shut door to me for years. Maybe because while facing my hysterectomy, I know that is a stage that is forever gone for me. This was a third child and it bothered me not at all. But I know that it would have hurt just a few years ago. That state of grace is so welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that not everyone feels the same way I feel because my husband is one of them. He still feels jealousy towards those who have more than 2 children and feels hurt or the pain of hearing pregnancy announcements. His desire is to have a 3rd child, which is not going to happen for us. He is definitely envious of those who can have a bigger family. I am completely done with expanding my family so maybe that influences how I react to others' pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I do think time helps. I'm sure your husband will get there. I'm glad you did though, and that you were so honest writing about it.

      Delete
  5. You're right, those twinges happen less often these days, although they still come up from time to time. I find it sometimes has a lot to do with the circumstances & whose pregnancy it is. ;)

    (We just dealt with a pregnancy announcement ourselves this week. :) I hope to be able to write about it on my blog soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pregnancy announcements have not bothered me for many years - one reason is because it's not my journey, it's someone elses and another is that anyone elses life is none of my business, it's up to each person what they do in their own life and how they conduct themselves. In saying that though, I don't have any close female relatives whatsoever of childbearing age, so that probably makes things easier - it wouldn't bring up the sorts of things about making parents grandparents and so forth, so this could potentially be easier for me than many.

    The only time pregnancy announcements have hurt is when people have been insensitive over it - like not telling me about it and shunning me, when I've wondered what on earth I've done, or calling me repeatedly out of the blue then by the third phone call the truth comes out that they're expecting (which I'd already cottoned on to, as this has happened so frequently over the years), or just behaving 'off' with me or 'weird' like I'm going to suddenly have this huge meltdown because of their life and the path they are taking. That's the part I've found the most difficult to deal with, other peoples reactions towards me. It's so isolating and upsetting being cut off or treated differently because I haven't been able to procreate successfully.

    I remember all to well the lady in question you mention back in the day who had a rather large brood and had this compulsion to have more and felt jealous of anyone else who was pregnant and who had given birth... and it brings back a memory of myself and Izz racing around removing all the steak knives from a hotel restaurant where we all met up after an EPT event as 4 of her younger brood decided to grab them off the tables to stick in each other! Eeek! In fact, it was left to myself and Izz to entertain these kids and keep them from slicing each other/wrecking the place/annoying other diners whilst their mom drifted off somewhere in her thoughts whilst physically in the room. (not judging here, just remembering honestly about this lady and the poor mental health she had and the impact of so many kids being left to look after the other kids whilst they were still kids).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making me laugh now. I think I remember hearing about that incident! Also, I was hoping that I wasn't tempting fate by mentioning "she who should not be named!"

      Delete