13 June, 2022

Is grief forever?

Is grief the last act of love? This was the subject of an interview, quoted by Mel in her post here.

Whilst I don’t think that grief IS love, I definitely agree that grief is a result of love, and an expression of the love we felt and the loss of that love. In the context of our No Kidding situations, we have loved either the babies we wanted (conceived, birthed, or not) or the role of mother (for me it was definitely the babies I had loved, I was still coming to terms with the idea of being a mother), or the future we had planned. We had already invested love into this. And when we didn’t have it, we grieved.

It was described in the article as the last act of loving someone. “You get to … translate this last act of love for the rest of your life,” said Ocean Vuong, the interview subject. Whilst it is beautifully expressed (click over to see it), I don’t fully agree with it. Because if it is the last act of loving someone, then in means that grief is eternal. And it does not have to be endless. (To be fair, the person is three years into grieving, and so maybe cannot see this yet.) The loss doesn’t have to be felt forever.

More importantly, we can continue to love someone without actively grieving them. I don’t think I grieve for my parents anymore. I mourned them, and I am sad for different aspects of their deaths. But I no longer actively grieve. Instead, I remember with love. Sure, I may feel sadness occasionally thinking about them or wishing I could tell them something. But it doesn’t feel like grief anymore. Continued grief would be pointless - I can’t change anything, I can’t continue to pine. So the best thing I can do is remember the good times, remember what they taught me, and remember the love.

We can love someone, and show that love by honouring them in our actions, when we have already moved through grief. It’s how I feel about my lost babies, my lost motherhood, and my lost future too. I remember them with love. I remember the love I felt towards those tiny flickers of life, the love I felt towards their and our future. I was filled with love for them, and although that led to grief at their loss, now I remember and focus on the love. It sustains and nurtures me. 

I remember and honour the loss of my babies by living well. I honour them by appreciating what I have, rather than focusing on what I have lost. I honour them by becoming a better person, and by giving my love to others. I honour them by writing this blog, and through it their loss means something. I honour them by (I hope) helping others who come after me. I honour them far better this way than by continuing to grieve, or to focus on the grief. Honouring them is a better way of loving them.

I honour my losses, and my pain, the grief I once felt. I do that because of love. Love outlasts grief.


 

6 comments:

  1. Dear Mali, you've put it so beautifully.
    Yes, you are helping others by writing this blog. You have helped me in the darkest years of my infertility and I will be forever grateful for that.
    sending lots of love from sLOVEnia,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last two paragraphs really resonate for me about the relationship between love and grief, as well as honour. So well said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mali, I hope you're right. My mom has been gone for nearly 16 years and I'm definitely still grieving her. And, I lost my husband less than 2 months ago. It feels like I'll never stop grieving that loss- I spent half my life with him, and we'd planned to grow old together. Now suddenly, I'm back to how I was in my teens and early 20's. All alone. Miserable all the time. Just wishing someone loved me. So, I hope you're right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I'm so so sorry you lost your husband. Two months is so immediately raw and painful. I send hugs. And I hope your memories of the love you and your husband shared can bring you comfort. In time I believe it will.
      In the same way I hope that memories of your mother (not her loss, but her life) bring you comfort too.

      Delete
  4. I struggle a bit with the idea of grief ending. Being less all-encompassing, yes, but I feel like, for me at least, grief is non-linear and can have resurgences. You don't have to be flattened by it forever, and you can honor what you've lost without making your life into an altar to loss, but I feel like it has to be okay to both honor and grieve, and that if you are still grieving well after a loss (maybe on an anniversary, or with a difficult situation that opens that trauma back up), that it doesn't mean that you are stuck in the past. I feel haunted from time to time by things that have happened to me in the past (some infertility, some other unfortunateness), and it's important to me that that not stick, but that I feel it for whatever reason it's bubbled up and then let it go. AND know that it could come back and that is okay. It's a hard balance and everyone has to do what's right for them. As a lifelong bottler up of hard feelings, I just wanted to throw that thought out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've defined grief very well, Mali, especially its relationship to love. I'm not sure I no longer grieve the loved ones I've lost (including my stillborn daughter) -- but the grief has definitely evolved over the years -- it's not as acute and all-encompassing as it once was (and that's a good thing).

    ReplyDelete