10 July, 2023

Is a No Kidding life a radical one?

The Gateway Women Fireside Chat that I mentioned last week discussed the idea that those of us who are ageing without children are "radical old women." Apart from the fact that I really don’t feel like an old woman and I’m not ready for that term (despite being older than some on the panel!), I agreed with a lot of the opinions given in the discussion. They reiterated the key points that almost all childless-not-by-choice and many childfree women talk about when we get together. It's always worth repeating! But I came away with two thoughts that weren’t really represented.

The first is that I object to being labelled (by society, by anyone) as radical just for living my life. Sure, I don’t have children, but that's only a small part of what makes me who I am. This idea makes me bristle. I object to the idea that just because we differ in only one way – the fact that we haven’t reproduced or parented – we must be seen as radical. I know many No Kidding women (and men) who are the very opposite of radical. They live normal lives – they go to work or school, love their friends and their (extended) families, strive to be better, look after their homes and neighbours, and care about the world. They want to be accepted and recognised and seen, and considered to be an important part of society and their communities. Surely there is nothing particularly radical about that?

Of course, it comes down to the definition, and there are many definitions of “radical,” as pointed out in the panel discussion. There is the “extremist” definition, the one that automatically comes to mind when I first hear the term “radical.” To be radical means “believing or expressing the belief that there should be great or extreme social or political change.” (Cambridge dictionary) A radical holds very different views, opposing the status quo (as opposed to just differing from it), and speaking out about it. By definition, a radical view is or can be seen to be threatening to the existing dominant societal structure. I find it terribly sad that simply wanting to be accepted for being who we are is seen as threatening by those living different lives. I’m not a conformist, and never have been. I’ve certainly never understood why living life differently should be in any way seen as particularly "radical." But I don’t feel like an extremist or particularly militant either. I’m just someone who puts an alternative viewpoint – a viewpoint many people have never considered – out there, and who wants society to see us and accept us. Is that radical? It doesn't feel like it.

The second issue was the question Jody posed, “what do we want to do with our ‘radical’?”

I thought of all of our blogs, the articles we have contributed to or commented on, the social media posts we make or comment on, the art some of us make, and all the other things that we do to put the point of view of people who are childless not by choice, or who are simply living No Kidding lives. We’re already doing a lot!

Then I thought of my neglected Instagram account (@nokiddinginnz), the book I’ve written but never published, all the time I don’t contribute to other online groups (like Gateway Women), and felt guilty. Am I not doing enough with my ‘radical’? I think it is terribly important that we speak up. I think it is terribly important that people remember there are women and men out there who wanted children, but who couldn’t have them for whatever reason. And I think it is terribly important that people are reminded that any of us who don’t have children are still equally important members of society, with valid opinions, lives, and contributions to society. So I am forever grateful for those who do so, who represent us in public. I play a small part, I’ve definitely gone beyond my comfort zone, whether here on my blog when I’ve very nervously pressed “Publish,” in private conversations when I’ve made myself vulnerable by tentatively countered someone’s mainstream opinion, or by very nervously commenting under my real name in articles in national media outlets. My part might not be as big as Jody’s or Pamela’s, but it is still important, as is that of all my readers and fellow bloggers. And I'm going to keep doing it, as long as I have an audience.

But speaking up is not obligatory. Just as we don't have to find our "Next Big Thing" when we don't have children, we don't have to become spokespeople for the childless not by choice. I know that speaking up isn’t for everyone. Some of us feel much more vulnerable about exposing our sadness or perceived failures to the world, and many of us fear judgement. Some of us are uncomfortable with speaking up – so many of us have been taught that it is rude to disagree, for example, when it is really courageous. I’m personally uncomfortable with confrontation, and don’t particularly enjoy arguments, although I know others who thrive on debate. (I do like being able to put my point of view, or make someone think, by a well-placed comment or question, but it can take a toll.) It made me think. Why should any of us feel compelled to do anything with our radical? It can be hard enough just living our radical lives day-to-day, navigating this pronatalist world as people without children, let alone dealing with all the other stresses of life.

Then I came full circle. Maybe that’s the whole point of being “Radical Old Women?” The second definition of radical is as fundamental, “relating to or characteristic of the basic or inherent constitution of a person or thing” (Collins Dictionary). It brings everything back to basics. And the basis of being a woman is, in fact, simply being, whether or not we have children. Ditto, the basis of being a man is simply being. The basis of being a human is simply being a human. And we all do that. We show there is value in our being just who we are. I guess that is radical in both meanings of the word. 

Just living our lives – with meaning and kindness and happiness and love – is enough of an example to others that society is varied, and that variation is valuable to us all. Life isn’t a one-size fits all proposition. How boring would societies and communities be if we were all the same? Embracing our existence, our No Kidding lives, is, after all, a radical act we didn’t think we were capable of at one stage in our lives. Wherever, and however, we live, we are here, and we are not going away. We are living, breathing, feeling role models. Maybe that’s radical enough for us all?

 


 

 

5 comments:

  1. The phrase that kept jumping out at me as I read was "radical acceptance." And then I felt like you encompassed that in your last paragraph. I don't like the idea of others accepting my life as "radical," as you said, but u do like the idea of my own acceptance and flourishing in this new reality. I think there are layers of what we can do, and it gets difficult when it feels like "am I doing enough?" is repeating in our heads. I think that's different for everyone. We can be advocates and champions in our own ways. Great, thought-provoking post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, Mali! I am so UNradical in my own mind (and I think most people who know me would agree!), and I suspect many of us who are CNBC would not describe ourselves as "radical" -- because most of us really did want that conventional family life for ourselves. Not getting it was not something we planned or wanted for ourselves. But since this is the life I wound up with, I am going to make the most of it, and do what I can (within my own comfort zone) to ensure it's a good life for me and others like me -- no matter how "radical" or unconventional it might seem to others. (P.S. I'm going to flag this for Jody!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. I think as CNBC women we have to see ourselves as radical because of the courage it takes to shed the shame of childlessness and speak out about the effect pronatalism has on our lives. Pronatalism affects our ability to come to terms with childlessness. It impacts our friendships, our workplace, how we're perceived in society and the media. It's everywhere, and it's going to take a lot of courage to change this narrative. At a time when older women are invisible and have no authoritative voice in society. But it's not right that pronatalism continues to downgrade childless women. To make change happen we're going to have to stick our heads above the parapet and speak out. Yes, we really do have to become radical old women, and the very best of luck to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mali that simply by living our lives as childless women unapologetically we are already being radical! Pronatalism would wish for us to be small, quiet and shamed by our childlessness, as if we had done something 'wrong' by being childless. Radical has many definitions, as we discussed on the call, and at its core it means 'grabbling things by the root' and pronatalism certainly grabs female identity by the roots, and 'uproots' it when you are childless not by choice. It makes us visible parts of the 'out group' and that can be confronting and lonely. So whether our personal 'style' of radical is to speak up about it or not, each of us, simply by living our lives unapologetically, is quite radical enough! Hugs to all, Jody x

    PS: Next Fireside Wisdom with Childless Elderwomen free webinar is September 15th (free, live & recorded) and you can watch previous ones and sign up for September's here: https://gateway-women.com/gateway-elderwomen/

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI, Mali, I shared this post in the Lighthouse Women online community (fomerly Gateway) and flagged Jody there... she says she left you a comment, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether... you may want to check your folders again! ;)

    ReplyDelete