16 September, 2023

I am ME: World Childless Week 2023

It is World Childless Week.
Today we celebrate who we are, rather than who we are not. 

This is one of my favourite things on this blog, and in my life - to focus on who I am and what I am doing, rather than what I am missing out on, and the fact I am not a parent.

Over ten years ago, I wrote a list of 100 things that emphasise who I am, rather than what or who I am not. I updated it seven years later in 2019 here, and in a year or two it might be time to do it again!

This is why I wish there was a word for women who were whole and Not Kidding, rather than labelled with regard to an absence - whether it is as childLESS or childFREE. I guess it's impossible, because it is that absence that brings us together. It frustrates me though. And I'm sorry for the rant. Long time readers will be familiar with this!

Meanwhile, this is my 2023 version of #IamME. A photo taken with a selfie stick (given to me by a selfie-expert niece) in my garden. With a bit of editing, because I'm camera shy.

You can find all the other photos from other wonderful No Kidding people, with a lot of inspirational comments, here, uploaded throughout the day.

 



 

 

4 comments:

  1. "Today we celebrate who we are, rather than who we are not." I love it!

    Also--very, very cool picture!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fascinating, and I haven't given it much though yet. There is no word that doesn't indicate an absence to describe a life of not parenting. I can't even come up with anything to finish that sentence that doesn't have a negative in it!

    Love the idea of celebrating who we are, in the affirmative. We are each so multi-faceted, but parenting or not (again, a negative) becomes the Great Divider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mali,
    I just love your 2023 version of #IamME!
    Yes, I agree with you. This is also one of my favourite things on my blog, and in my life - to focus on who I am and what I am doing, rather than what I am missing out .
    sending many good wishes from sLOVEnia,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your picture editing! Perfect for you. It is interesting that there's no good name for the identity based on an absence, but I do live that there's so many other things that make up who we are.

    ReplyDelete