05 February, 2024

Just Us

Yesterday, my husband and I celebrated a major wedding anniversary. MAJOR! It seems hard to believe that we are that old, to have been married for so many years. We’ve had an amazing time together, with the usual ups and downs that people have. It’s just that our ups and downs have not been children-related. Wait. Actually, some of them have been – infertility and pregnancy loss and getting used to the idea of never having children are ALL children-related. They’re just not the usual ups and downs.

I know that a lot of people go through relationship difficulties during infertility, especially if there are differences of opinion over how far to go down the reproductive assistance or adoption angle, if either or both of those are possible options. And I know of relationships that haven’t worked out as a result. But I also know many who have formalised their relationships after becoming permanently childless, many who have celebrated their relationships with new commitments or new beginnings together. Being childless does not doom a relationship, just as having kids doesn’t keep people together.  My husband and I became closer through our losses, and have stayed closer as the years have passed. (Which is not to say that we don’t drive each other crazy at times. We are very different personalities!) We have been lucky, we know. But it has also required understanding, commitment, and patience. A lot of patience! Love can get you through.

So we went out for a special meal on Saturday night, and I cooked us a favourite meal on Sunday and we had a special bottle of champagne. I’m not going to lie, though. There was a twinge of emptiness – people celebrating this number of anniversaries are usually surrounded by children and grandchildren. Others who genuinely want to celebrate our relationship. Our anniversaries always pass by unrecognised by everyone else except us, and our parents when they were still around. One of my sisters made a point of remembering this year, publicly posting on my social media feed, which was lovely of her. 

But otherwise, it was just us. Of course, we could make a big deal of it. Invite friends over, sisters to visit, etc. But ultimately, the relationship has been for us, about us, with us. There haven’t been any other people in our lives distracting us, or acting as a buffer zone in conflicts. It's always been just us. And therefore celebrating it that way, just the two of us, seems somehow right. We are enough.

 

We had to celebrate with champagne,
of course!


 

10 comments:

  1. Happy happy happy anniversary. That is an enormous milestone. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! Glad you found a nice way to celebrate -- you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!!! Cheers to many more years!

    I am divorced, but it wasn't infertility that broke us up. Because he didn't want kids as badly/desperately as I did, he was able to listen to me talk and cry endlessly. I'm grateful for his support during that time.

    I just realized I need to find out my parents' anniversary. I know it's at the end of May. And they'll be coming up on a milestone one in a couple of years... Thank you for bringing my attention to this!

    And cheers again! Just Us: Enough.

    Exactly. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good grief. Am I the same age as your parents? lol (I know I'm close to the parents' age of at least one other of our fellow bloggers!)

      Delete
    2. No, not even close! Haha. My parents are much older than you. They got married "late" and had me "late" for the times... ;)

      Delete
  4. Dear Mali, Happy anniversary! I love your post! Just Us: Enough <3 Just beautiful! Sending much love, Klara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celebrating your milestone together! Love this: "Being childless does not doom a relationship, just as having kids doesn’t keep people together."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the big and special anniversary! Having gone through quite a relationship crisis just recently (we are better now, luckily), I would say that staying together for so long is kind of an achievement. It does take work! So well done, Mali and Mr. Mali :-).

    I was just thinking that it is very similar when we celebrate our anniversary. We usually get a text or email from our parents. Once they are no longer here, I don't assume anybody else will remember our wedding anniversary.

    A former boss and friend of mine and his wife (CNBC, too), used to send an email to all of their friends with pictures of how they had celebrated their anniversary. They did the same with travels, holidays etc. I always liked that. I actually put the date of their wedding anniversary in my birthday calendar and tried to remember to send them an email, which was always appreciated. So there are ways to be remembered and seen more, if we wish. I am not sure I am this kind of person though...

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! Happy milestone anniversary! Happy love, love, healing, and enough-ness. I love your celebration, and your love!

    ReplyDelete