13 February, 2024

Monday Miscellany: Another No Kidding Version

  • I was chatting with an old friend yesterday (just to clarify, she is one I’ve known for 44 years, not an OLD friend, even though we are of course, both getting older), and mentioned I needed to write a post for this blog. She is also living a No Kidding life. She commented that for years, people would try to convince her to have children. That she needed to have kids so she would have someone to look after her in her old age. Aside from the obvious, that this is no guarantee of having care, she noted that this attitude is completely selfish. I totally agree. I’ve seen it in practice. There wasn’t always a lot of gratitude, the reliance on the children made the elderly feel very vulnerable. Whereas if plans had been made, and put into action, they would have actually had more control over their lives in their last years. Another reminder to us all.
  • I’m again thinking about the carbon emissions of travel. We tend to go on longer trips, so that we have fewer long haul flights. I was thinking about Taylor Swift flying back and forth from Japan to see her boyfriend play some apparently-important game in the US. Then I thought of a family of teenagers and adults I know that is flying for four hours to Melbourne to see Taylor Swift’s concert. Then they fly home after only a day or two. It made me feel – if not wholesome, then at least much less guilty about international travel. Having children really does massively increase a person’s carbon footprint.
  • So it’s getting real. I mentioned a while ago I have an essay included in an anthology that is coming out this year, called Otherhood. In fact, it’s just in a few months, in early May. Here’s a totally permitted sneak peek at the cover. I’ll give more information then, but I know they're publishing in paper and ebooks. There's an insta page - https://www.instagram.com/otherhood.book/ and I'm quoted in their first post there. It can also be found on Goodreads too, to add it to your to-read list.

  • I love the blurb on the back. It encompasses us all, and emphasises the need for "a more inclusive conversation about what makes a fulfilling life."

 
 


 

4 comments:

  1. I've added the book to my Goodreads "to read" list! Hopefully it will be (or will soon become) available in North America! (fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have said that the publisher will post hard copies anywhere in the world. I'm not sure yet of the format of the ebooks. Will report more when I know!

      Delete
  2. I'm really excited for this book to come out! I followed the IG account and really love your quote. I'm sure so many can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, congratulations! That looks amazing. I will order one too! Got to support the books that tell our stories, right? :)
    I would bet even with travel the carbon footprint is less without kids, especially here. Between the sheer amount of food (much of which is flown in to groceries), the clothes with all the environmental impact of that, and the insane amount of driving with the soccer and the dance and the many activities, I can't imagine beating that out.

    ReplyDelete