03 June, 2024

Plans change, so let us thrive

Today, purely by chance, I came across two previous posts that cried out to be reposted. They were written 18 years ago, on my second blog (an alphablog that was so much fun to write), so I'm pretty confident none of my readers here today ever saw them! They were written with my No Kidding status in mind, especially V = Vintage, but not for that purpose alone. I think it's worth repeating the sentiments, as they hold true 18 years later. If not more so.

V = Vintage

“Five years ago, I had a doctor who kept referring to “women of your vintage.” I felt like a wine that was souring, turning into vinegar, appropriately barren. He was trying to be considerate, but it would have been kinder if he had just been blunt.

Now, though, I am a very different vintage. Richer in character, able to stand up to time, changing and aging in the best possible way. I like to feel I’m maturing well. I like my vintage. It is one of the best. The kind to be celebrated, treasured, appreciated. So I do.

Vintage. There’s a lot in a word. And in five years.”

Note: I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to say this, as the years do their damage. But it still feels good to me, so I'm reposting it while I can! 

"Z = Zigzag

The logical, pragmatic, planning, and list-making part of me loves the idea of setting goals, achieving them, having the next five or ten years of my life planned out. But then I listen to people who do that, and think of everything they are bypassing.

Life doesn’t take us where we plan. For that I am very grateful. Some of my most rewarding experiences have been when plans have gone awry. Some of my most successful career moves have been the result of a barrier in the way of my plan, or simply of chance, being in the right place at the right time. I am who I am now, simply because my plans didn’t go the way they were supposed to.

A straight line is so boring. No stopping off to sample experiences on the way, to meet new people, to try new things. A straight line has no imagination, and covers far less ground. Zigzagging my way through life is much more fun."

It’s worth clicking through on the titles to see the comments of people I still “talk” to all this time later, and who had interesting insights or funny comments. I particularly liked the ones on the last post, showing that we all have unexpected changes to our plans for our life, whether we’re childless, childfree, or parents. A reminder that we’re not that different. And I loved these lyrics that were posted:

“Somehow I find myself far out of line from the ones I had drawn
Wasn't the best of paths, you could attest to that, but I'm keeping on.
Would our paths cross if every great loss had turned out our gain?
Would our paths cross if the pain it had cost us was paid in vain?

There was no pot of gold, hardly a rainbow lighting my way
But I will be true to the red, black and blues that colored those days.
I owe my soul to each fork in the road, each misleading sign.
'Cause even in solitude, no bitter attitude can dissolve my sweetest find

Thanksgiving for every wrong move that made it right.

—Poi Dog Pondering”




5 comments:

  1. Both of these make a lot of sense to me, and I especially love this: "Some of my most rewarding experiences have been when plans have gone awry." -- like all of the major pieces of my life!

    It's so funny to think back to 2008 and how old I thought/feared I was then. Silly girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure I really understand the expression "of your vintage" (I never heard it before), but I do have something to contribute to "Zigzag".

    Yesterday, I had an appointment that I usually go to by bus and train. Only it was at a time of the day when the connection was really bad and the trip would have taken much longer than usual. So for the first time, I decided to cycle there on my e-bike. The weather was perfect for that. I used smaller roads across the hills, passing farms and poppy fields. It was both beautiful and peaceful. I did have to check the map and turn around several times, but had calculated enough time to be able to take wrong turns since I know myself: my sense of direction has never been the best ;-). Zigzagging I was for sure!

    My week had been stressful and my sleep pretty bad, and the one hour cycling trip really boosted my mood. On the way back home (another hour) I ended up cycling on completely different roads, passing villages that were not on the most direct route, zigzagging even more. And I really enjoyed that! I was under no time pressure. It does remind me to go out more often and enjoy nature.

    Now life plans are of course a little different. It is much more painful when things we wish for with all our heart do not come true. We then have to travel a road we never planned to. We all know how devastating it can be, especially in the child department. In our careers, it can be frustrating, too. I never worked in the profession I was trained for because there were no jobs when I finished university. It did bother me for the first few years. I was able to work in jobs that were not the same, but still enabled me to use my skills. After several years, I realized that I actually enjoyed working in a team much more than working by myself as I probably would have if everything had gone according to plan.

    There is something humbling about this whole zigzag experience, isn't there? Maybe it is what makes us human? Not being perfect? Not leading perfect lives? I wonder if there even is a perfect life? And if the people living it are happier than the ones who are embracing their plan B or C? Maybe not?

    Wishing you a lovely weekend, Mali!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really good questions, Elaine! The people with perfect lives probably only look perfect from outside, too, as hard as that is to imagine.

      I love your ebike cycling zigzag story. Wonderful!

      And vintage - we talk about wine vintages (ages/years). And so it is slightly politer to say "a woman of your vintage" than "a woman of your age." Although as I mentioned above, that's a matter of debate!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I love this so much! ZigZag in particular. I used to teach with someone who would say to 8th graders (!) that "you will make most of your important life decisions in the next 14 years." And then he would talk about how he wanted to be an English teacher, he went to school to be an English teacher, he met his wife while working at a summer camp, he got his first job at the district that he retired from, and he boom boom boom had three kids. Straight line. I was always quick to say "you have a lifetime to make decisions, and it is okay to have a roundabout line!" In my resource room I would show his life map and my life map and be like, "sometimes things don't work out. And sometimes they bring you to the best things. Your life will not look the same as anyone else's, and if you know where you want to go and you end up there, great! But there is something to say about getting a bit lost on the journey." It used to drive me crazy. Most kids now know that things don't work out exactly the way you want.

    Ooof, the vintage comment! I mean, with wine it's great, but I can see why you went to vinegar -- because if you wait too long even the best wine spoils? Would that doctor have said that to a man? PROBABLY NOT. Argle.

    An alphablog sounds so fun! Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. The alphablog was fun! Maybe I should do another one. I did a travelalphablog too, but stopped posting there 12 years ago.

      Delete