Had my four-year-old niece visiting earlier this week. Oh yes, and her parents! It was lovely to see them all. We had child time - she crawled into bed with me in the mornings to play on the iPad - and adult time to celebrate my sisters' birthday. Things I realised:
- It doesn't matter that I don't have toys for her to play with. Everyday stuff we have in our house that they don't is just as much fun.
- Kids are loud, and ask hundreds of questions. (I knew this. It was just reinforced).
- Children are exhausting. My sister looked exhausted, and it was supposed to be a holiday. (Though probably two late nights and lots of champagne and wine didn't help!)
- The zoo is just as much fun for adults as kids.
- My normal life - when I can do things outside of school holidays - is so much more relaxed! Or at least, calm and peaceful!
- They'll be back at Christmas. Which will be fun. I'll get to use my Christmas stockings. But I need the intervening period to recover!