I was thinking the other day about how our individual personalities affect how we heal after infertility, how they can both help and hinder us in the process, and came up with this preliminary list of my own helpful and unhelpful personality traits:
- I don’t like failing.
- I don’t like the feeling that I’m missing out.
- I worry too much about what other people think.
- I hadn’t spent my whole life wanting only to be a mother.
- I never thought “things happen for a reason.”
- I have always had strong feminist tendencies, and so have never defined women by their biology.
- I was older, so was already learning to accept that I am the one who chooses what matters to me.
- I am pragmatic, and so didn‘t (always) fall for society’s messages I was hearing.