14 March, 2022

Bread and childlessness

I had an urge to bake this morning. Bread, specifically. I enjoy the way the yeast and water react, froth, the way the dough texture changes after kneading, or when it rises, and the smell of the bread as it is cooking. The kneading is not my main pleasure. Instead, I am fascinated by the different textures of the bread-making process. I think all baking is like that - from the creamed butter and sugar, changing when you add eggs, changing again with flour, and then heat. I remember one of the first things I learned to make at home with my mother. Hokey pokey, the kiwi word for honeycomb toffee. It was so exciting adding the baking soda to the sugar/golden syrup, and seeing the ingredients explode into a magical frothy mixture. It was the chemical reaction I found fascinating, as much as the taste of the end result. I feel the same way about bread.

I could get all philosophical and say that life is like that too. Put different ingredients together, or leave one out, and see what you get. But that isn't the point of this post. Today, I just want some room to complain a little. I wanted to bake bread. But I still had some of my favourite bread (Vogel's spelt and flaxseed) left, and don't like throwing it away. DH was out playing golf, so wouldn't be home for lunch. And there was no-one else to help me eat whatever I was going to make. So it would be a case of making something simply for fun. Which maybe would have been fine, though I was taught not to waste food (even though these days I do my fair share). I have the same quandary when I bake anything, but with the added issue of how unhealthy will it be. Maybe that's another reason I like baking bread!

That's the thing, isn't it? Even decisions over which bread am I going to make are influenced by the fact that I don't have children. Okay, I know realistically any kids I might have had might not be living at home any longer. But I could have had years of baking bread for them or with them before they set off for university or careers or travel or love. It makes me feel a little sad.

And right now, I'm allowing myself to feel that regret. But what I won't do is allow myself to stay sitting in it. So this afternoon or tonight, I'm going to prepare the no-knead bread that needs to sit for at least 12 hours overnight, and will bake it tomorrow for lunch. I've only made it once, so I want to try it again. It will be nice in a sandwich with tomato and salad and cheese, or maybe some ham, or perhaps with some soup. I'm sure my husband will want to toast it. And over a few days, I'm pretty sure we will be able to devour the loaf. If it comes out okay, that is. Of course, there's no reason to assume that it won't. And there you have it - maybe bread-baking is a metaphor for life after all.

8 comments:

  1. Sharing bread, Esp home made bread, with friends and neighbors is lovely.Always make bread. And enlarge your circle of people/friends through bread making. Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mali, thank you for sharing your thoughts on bread and cake making!

    I have the same issue with cake since we then eat way too much just the two of us. Baking a cake only makes sense when we have friends or family over.

    I did, however, find a solution for bread! I cut maybe half of the loaf in slices. Then I put these slices in packages of four in plastic bags and into the freezer (four is what the two of us will eat in one meal). They will be delicious toasted directly from there - you just need to toast them a little longer since they need to defrost first ;-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's a great idea! Thanks, Elaine. I do that with my favourite dark bread, but of course I can do it with baked bread. Silly me!

      Delete
  3. I love how you let us into your ongoing healing process with this beautiful metaphor of bread making. The heart of this post, for me, is this part: I'm allowing myself to feel that regret. But what I won't do is allow myself to stay sitting in it.

    I did not expect this post to be what it ended up being -- that's how amazing you are a a thinker/writer. I better understand now how ever-present the experience of No Kidding can be, even in the small things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this post. I also really like bread. :)

    I get sad about the things I'll never do with my children too. I feel it when it comes up, but I try not to hold on to it. It comes and goes.

    I hope you enjoyed your bread this week. I'm sure it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried baking bread... dh once suggested we get a bread maker, but we decided we didn't need the calories...! Still, there is nothing like freshly baked bread (and just reading your post made me hungry and crave some! lol). My grandmother used to make Swedish brown bread, and buns (both brown and white). I wish she'd written down her recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought there was a mystery about bread. But it's really very easy. And I have a recipe (though I'm testing others) that is really just mixing the ingredients, and waiting overnight before baking it. Which is the one I mentioned in this piece. Couldn't be simpler.

      Delete
  6. I don't bake bread (gluten free bread seems more trouble than it's worth when it comes tasty enough in the frozen section), but I get the moment of sadness. I love Sweet Loren's gf/vegan cookie dough balls, because you can bake just one or two cookies at a time. No dozens of cookies that go stale because Bryce and I can't eat them all and there's no kids to gobble them up. Sending you a belated hug!

    ReplyDelete