07 March, 2023

Mixed emotions of No Kidding blogging

The mixed emotions of blogging. I wrote a long post last week. The reason it was so long is that I added several qualifying paragraphs to pre-empt any criticism. I was telling my DH, and he said “you should just write what you want and think, and don’t worry about others.” But I’ve had criticism before, and whilst I don’t mind it (and it can lead to very interesting conversations), it can distract from my main points. And so it is often easier to explain myself beforehand. That said, sometimes all the explaining in the world doesn’t avoid people misinterpreting what I’ve said, or to whom I have said it, or who it is about. I’m tempted to revisit the post, take out all the qualifications, and then see how long it is! But still, having all those qualifications in there, the explanations of the differences between the various stages of grief, the things that I have tried and what worked or did not work, can give legitimacy to my theme too. I’m definitely not being blasé about healing or dismissive of grief. I think about these things, and I think about their impact on us. So then I try to explain that. Apologies for being long-winded sometimes, and thanks for bearing with me.

My labels are out of control! I am so frustrated. How can I ever get them in order? There are 247 different labels, which is a ridiculous number! I am going to try to consolidate them, so it is easier for me to find posts that I know I’ve written, but can never find. I think I decide on labels at the time of posting, thinking about what people might be searching for (and how they might spell it in the US vs NZ vs UK for example), which explains why I have so many. Of course, there are 826 posts on this blog so far. Actually, this one makes 827. That’s a lot of writing about not having children, being childless or childfree (depending on my mood), and not kidding! On reflection, I started this paragraph feeling overwhelmed, and I’ve ended it feeling quite proud.

Now I’m embarrassed. I have a topic I’ve been meaning to attend to again every Valentine’s Day. As usual, I think Mel might have started it, writing Bloggy Valentines for other bloggers. I did it once, here, eight years ago. Each year I see a note about it, but each year I've missed the date. It's now March, and I forgot again. Oops. Maybe next year. (Yes, I need to put it in my calendar.)

I’m back to blogging frustration, with a degree of annoyance thrown in. I’ve read a little Rebecca Solnit on plagiarism, stealing ideas, or people copying ideas but using their own words. I’ve seen this happen in blogging. I’ve seen some of my posts or ideas repeated but without reference, over and over again, sometimes with disturbingly familiar turns of phrase. Maybe it’s because I’ve been writing for 10+ years, and I've covered all the bases? Maybe it’s coincidental and inevitable that we all come to the same realisations and conclusions. But maybe it isn't that innocent. And so others get more attention for their work based on my ideas/words than I do. It hurts. All the pain and effort I’ve put in to develop my ideas, my blogs, my approach to my No Kidding life. A blogger’s dilemma. It is hard to prove. It would be nice occasionally to see a reference back to my original writings, as I try to reference any blogger that inspires me to want to think more deeply, or to expand on their original (appropriately credited) ideas or where I might find a twist using my own experience. I don’t accuse my own regular readers of this. You are all too nice. But I do accuse some others, who know of me and my work, but don’t comment or interact here because they're focused on their bigger platforms. I’m not sure if I want to finish with a sigh, an anguished argh, or an angry grrrr. Maybe all of the above.

5 comments:

  1. Ugh, labels! -- I didn't know what I was doing when I first started blogging -- some of the labels that I did use then are not always the ones I would use now! I've been gradually trying to change some of them over to ones that fit better, and to go back and add new labels to old posts (especially when I realize common themes are emerging), but it's slllooowwwww going! I find the "search" function on my blog helpful to find posts that fit the label I want to use. (I'm not sure how many labels I have, and I'm not sure I want to count and find out! lol)

    I'm sorry you've found your work being plagiarized. :( Some years ago, I found a spammy site that had taken some of my posts and copied them, word for word, without attribution -- which was bad enough -- but to find your work being appropriated by others on legitimate platforms... yikes! I know we all explore similar themes/subjects and find inspiration in each others' work, but I do try to credit others where credit is due!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of ending with all of the sounds.

    I don't think you're long winded. I think getting context helps to read the post correctly, though I also get that heading off unhelpful comments ahead of time saves feelings on the other end.

    I loved back when we did valentines. Sometimes we sent each other secret admirer notes at a random spot in the month. I loved when those posts went up and people got to see all these lovely things about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mel, ALL THE SOUNDS. I'm sorry people are stealing from you. That sucks. I have had times when I write a post and then see that a bunch of us had similar thoughts at the same time, which I love because it speaks to sisterhood and kinship and is a sort of intellectual synchrony like when your cycles align with women you live closely with. Ha. I use qualifiers more than I want, too. I think there is a real fear of being horribly misunderstood. But sometimes, I think it's okay to just let loose. There's a freedom in that. It speaks to how considerate you are that you are always thinking of potential pitfalls.

    Sending you bloggy love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen plagiarism within the CNBC blogging context, but I've often thought about it. I give my thoughts, feelings, and words freely in hope that it will help someone who is suffering. That is awful that someone would steal our writing, but I have no doubt it happens. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sighing for you. It's an awful feeling when you see that someone clearly borrowed (a generous term) something from you and didn't cite their source. I have tried to be conscientious about always citing, but I do worry that sometimes I do the same. Ugh, it's uncomfortable to be on either end (in different ways).

    ReplyDelete